Start with the best - "Die Rose", Ruschlikon, Switzerland

Well, if we start, we start with the best. And the best one is the restaurant "Die Rose" in Ruschlikon, Canton of Zurich in Switzerland.

Our love story with this place started as I was planning an anniversary surprise dinner. The reasons to choose "Die Rose" were simple: not far from home, moderate prices and, the most important one, not yet overbooked. I won't lie if I say, that I had my doubts: we don't like roses, the flowers, a long story to explain, we just don't like them. Who knew, we found the first one that we really love.

Some general info:
Die Rose
Dorfstrasse 82, 8802 Ruschlikon, Switzerland
Z-star: *****
Michelin: * (one star), two red couverts.
GaultMillau: 15/20
http://die-rose.ch/
Chef: Tobias Buholzer
Host: Sabrina Buholzer

Interior is rather rustic, traditionally Swiss, however with a slight modern touch. The restaurant occupies a 400 year-old house and some of the elements are of the museum quality. The antique stove is decorated with beautiful tiles depicting traditional costumes from different Cantons. The lady from Zug, with a big fancy hat is, of course, the most stylish one. A small bronze dog raised a paw in the corner to mark a territory. Giant decorative light bulbs fill the space with a soft yellow light. Modern art on the walls is questionable. But as many strange things you have at home: once you get used to them, they are not so strange anymore.



Five course on the menu. But amuse-bouche comes to EACH course. Last time we counted more than twenty actual courses, I guess. The idea is brilliant: first you warm up your taste buds with a flavour of a small starter before it flourishes with full power in the dish coming afterwards. The salad consists of 30 different herbs, greens and flowers found in the region. The list of components is presented as a tiny scroll bound with a tiny silver ring. Precision in details ... and I mean it.



Here comes a confession, I like bread. Let it be the smallest of my sins. And "Die Rose" makes me a sinner. Variety and quantity, that's what I like, and, please don't laugh, we ordered more. Sauce is trapped in the eggshell. Suckling pig rest on a hay and begs to be eaten. Fish soup blowed my mind when we first were there. Sabrina Buholzer is a wonderful host. Two weeks later we brought our moms to the place for a special occasion, this is where they first met. Fish soup was kept in the menu specially for me.  Did I already mention that it feels like home?!



The restaurant is closed for summer, but the tavern on the ground floor has an attractive regional menu. Its terrace is where we are. Once the Swiss summer sun remembers about us...

Comments

Popular Posts